Monday, October 15, 2007

New look!

I never blogged seriously. I had a blog, which I called an online journal. I hand-rolled that blogging software. It worked moderately ok with my seldom blogging. I didn't have too many requirements, so it was quite spartan in terms of features. The presentation was done in XML with XSL. You can well guess it was a geeky piece of one-of-a-kind software.

Then I changed my hosting company. It came with blogging software - not just one, but you can choose one from many. I don't expect to be an avid blogger suddenly, though I sure hope to become one. But I decided to install one blogging software - any one - to see the features. The first one listed was Wordpress. I heard the name, so I went with it. I don't regret, actually I am quite impressed with it. Playing with the themes there, I chose something called Almost-Spring. I liked it. I tweaked the color scheme a bit, customized the sidebar, footer and borrowed the edited theme as the theme of my website. The change required changing layout for all the pages. In order to do so, I recoded the PHP pages, so that the next time I need to change the look of the site, I don't need to change each individual file. So, it has become sort of a home-brewed one-of-a-kind CMS. Yes, it is Deja Vu all over again.

So what about my old blog postings? I can possibly hack Wordpress to post backdated. But I do not have too many posts that I care about, and most of them are not time-topical anyway - either way it's not worth the time and effort the hack. I can just cut and paste some of them into this new blog and change the world! Keep checking this space for some earth-shattering old blog posts. Till then, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment